The short answer is: yes, but it’s not guaranteed to work everywhere in the world.
Fairphone 2 is optimized for European cellular and 4G/LTE networks. The capabilities of the Fairphone 2 outside Europe depend on your cellular network, but typically with the Fairphone 2, anywhere in the world, you will have an UMTS/HSPA connection. This means that it is likely that you will either have a 4G, 3G connection and in some places in the worst case scenario, a 2G connection.
When it comes to the United States, 4G(LTE) won’t work. But all other network interfaces will (like 3G data connection). So although you won’t be able to access the latest network potential, you will have a well functioning internet connection.
So in essence:
For 2G Fairphone 2 has global coverage. Works everywhere, all the time, anytime. For 3G and 4G you’ll get at least one band supported anywhere in the world. In certain locations out of Europe you will also get 4G, but not in the US where you will be able to have 3G with as fast as the networks go.
Network specifications for Fairphone 2:
- Configuration Dual-SIM, Dual-Standby (DSDS)
- SIM Sockets 2 x Micro-SIM (3FF)
- Network Technology 2G / 3G / 4G LTE -Advanced
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad-band: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- WCDMA Band 1 (2100 MHz); Band 2 (1900 MHz); Band 8 (900 MHz)
- 3G Max Downlink Speed Cat. 24 - 42.2 Mbps
- 3G Max Uplink Speed Cat. 7 - 11.5 Mbps
- 4G / LTE Advanced Band 3 (1800 MHz); Band 7 (2600 MHz); Band 20 (800 MHz)
- 4G Max Downlink Speed Cat. 4 - 150 Mbps
- 4G Max Uplink Speed Cat. 4 - 50 Mbps
If you have any further questions regarding how a Fairphone 2 will perform outside of Europe, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our trusty support team.
How well the phone works outside of Europe is dependent on local network standards as well as the specific operator you are using. This third party tool might give you an indication.