The short answer is: yes, but it’s not guaranteed to work everywhere in the world.
Fairphone 2 is optimized for European cellular and 4G/LTE networks. In certain locations out of Europe you will also get 4G.
Fairphone 2 has global coverage for 2G. Works everywhere, all the time, anytime. For 3G and 4G you will get at least one band supported anywhere in the world. The capabilities of the Fairphone 2 outside Europe depend on your cellular network. By default you will have a UMTS/HSPA connection with the Fairphone 2 anywhere in the world. This means that it is likely that you will either have a 4G, 3G connection. In some places it will be the worst case scenario: a 2G connection.
When it comes to the United States, 4G(LTE) won’t work. But all other network interfaces will - like 3G data connection, as fast as the networks go. This means that you will have a well functioning internet connection. Although you won’t be able to access the latest network potential.
How well the phone works outside of Europe depends on local networks as well as the operator you use. This third party tool might help you out.
Network specifications for Fairphone 2:
- Configuration Dual-SIM, Dual-Standby (DSDS)
- SIM Sockets 2 x Micro-SIM (3FF)
- Network Technology 2G / 3G / 4G LTE -Advanced
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE Quad-band: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- WCDMA Band 1 (2100 MHz); Band 2 (1900 MHz); Band 8 (900 MHz)
- 3G Max Downlink Speed Cat. 24 - 42.2 Mbps
- 3G Max Uplink Speed Cat. 7 - 11.5 Mbps
- 4G / LTE Advanced Band 3 (1800 MHz); Band 7 (2600 MHz); Band 20 (800 MHz)
- 4G Max Downlink Speed Cat. 4 - 150 Mbps
- 4G Max Uplink Speed Cat. 4 - 50 Mbps
If you have any further questions on how a Fairphone 2 will perform outside of Europe, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our trusty support team.